This brand-new test preparation manual covers all parts of the IELTS and all of its question types: multiple-choice, short answer, sentence completion, flowchart completion, graphs, tables, making notes, summarizing, labeling diagrams and maps, classification, matching, and selecting from a list. The manual also offers four practice tests with answers, and listening and reading modules with answer keys.
Buy this book: Purchase Barron’s IELTS on Amazon
Purpose: Preparation for Academic and General Training Modules of IELTS exam.
Tests included: 2 General Training tests, 4 Academic Module tests.
Answer keys: Included.
Explanation for the Answer keys: Included.
Answer sheets: Included.
Listening Transcripts: Included.
- The book provides good explanation of all the task types and gives clear instructions how to handle questions of each type. It points out and focuses the student on the issues important to optimize the test score.
- The answer key for Listening and Reading has explanations why those answers are the correct ones – very important feature in IELTS self-preparation.
- Has British alternatives to American spelling (as footnotes) – because both are acceptable in IELTS and students need to be aware of that.
- The price is modest as compared to other books for IELTS preparation.
People don’t like
- The answer key is not very well organized and doesn’t cover all of the examples in the book.
- There are no examples of text from General Training module.
- There are no specific descriptions or instructions for all the Writing task types, some types are covered, some are not.
- The book is more Academic module oriented, especially in the writing section. There are more examples and tasks for the Academic writing than for General Training.
- There are less General Training practice tests (only 2) than Academic Module (4 tests)
- It is difficult to understand how to score well in IELTS writing because there are no marked letters, essays or reports.
- There are no Audio files on CD for the Listening tests 2 – 4, which makes them useless.
Conclusion: The book helps you to get familiar with the test structure and teaches you how to approach IELTS tasks. The practice tests help to master the skills you’ve learned. It is probably more suitable for the Academic IELTS than for General Training module.